Friday, March 18, 2011

Fridays with The Heidelberg

LORD’S DAY 11

29. Q. WHY IS THE SON OF GOD CALLED “JESUS,” MEANING “SAVIOR”?

A. Because He saves us from our sins. Salvation cannot be found in anyone else; it is futile to look for any salvation elsewhere.

30. Q. DO THOSE WHO LOOK FOR THEIR SALVATION AND SECURITY IN SAINTS, IN THEMSELVES, OR ELSEWHERE REALLY BELIEVE IN THE ONLY SAVIOR JESUS?

A. No. Although they boast of being His, by their very deeds they deny the only Savior and deliverer, Jesus. Either Jesus is not a perfect Savior, or those who in true faith accept their Savior have in Him all they need for their salvation.



“God has no grandchildren.” I read this statement in Kevin DeYoung’s book, The Good News We Almost Forgot. I’m very grateful that I read that because it helped me to better understand this section. You see, when I first read questions 29 & 30, my initial response was to point fingers at the Roman Catholic Church and then feel better about myself. Point fingers because question 30 illustrates what I would see as the fundamental problem with Roman Catholic theology; an insufficient Christ.

Just as I started feeling good about my protestant evangelical background, I was reminded that “God has no grandchildren.” DeYoung’s point is that we protestants have a tendency to “boast” of being in Christ while “denying Him by our deeds.” We are prone to trusting in our own works and abilities rather than in the only sufficient Savior, Jesus Christ. Within our homes, our children can be deceived into trusting in their parent’s faith (hence the comment about grandparents) rather than personally trusting in Christ.

Use this reality as a springboard to discuss this difficult but eternally significant issue with your children. First examine yourselves, then discuss with your families the sufficiency of Christ. Point out to them mankind’s tendency to trust “in themselves”, and the futility of such efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment