Friday, April 8, 2011

Fridays with the Heidelberg

Lord’s Day 14

35. Q. WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT HE “WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT AND BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY”?

A. That the eternal Son of God, who is and remains true and eternal God, took to Himself, through the working of the Holy Spirit, from the flesh and blood of the virgin Mary, a truly human nature so that He might become David’s true descendant, like His brothers in every way except for sin.

36. Q. HOW DOES THE HOLY CONCEPTION AND BIRTH OF CHRIST BENEFIT YOU?

A. He is our mediator, and with His innocence and perfect holiness He removes from God’s sight my sin- mine since I was conceived.

We are fourteen weeks into our “Fridays with the Heidelberg”, and I am growing in my appreciation for this document. The Heidelberg has a pretty interesting history, which I will share with you over the coming weeks. It is a great document from the past with a variety of benefits for us presently (Bible Study, Family Worship, Evangelism, etc.). I have mainly promoted it as a tool to provide content for family worship.

With that, let me encourage you to ask your families two questions concerning today’s topic of the virgin birth;

- Does the virgin birth matter? (Why/Why Not?)
- How does the virgin birth benefit you?

I will provide my answer on Tuesday, but hope to hear from a few of you before then. I am sure I can round up some “incredible” prize package for someone that shares some details about their family discussions on these two questions. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment