Friday, May 13, 2011

Fridays with the Heidelberg

This morning at the gym, the group I was with was asked to do my least favorite exercise. This particular drill only takes one minute, but it is amazing how something so short in time can affect (think ruin) the rest of my day. After I completed aforementioned torture, I sat down for a breather. It was quite a discouraging rest though because I was looking up at the dry-erase board that listed at least 15 more exercises that remained. While I ended up skipping over a lot that was written, I did finally “complete” the workout and then sat down again. It is interesting how much better being seated felt in light of the reality that my task was over.

Though there are a variety of appropriate settings for sitting down (travel, occupation, lectures, portions of the worship service, etc.), it is often representative of completion. We are told in Hebrews 1 that Christ is seated for this very reason. Jesus is seated because all that we needed for salvation has been completed through his life, death, burial and resurrection. Jesus came to seek and save the lost, to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many. How wonderful it is to dwell on the fact that Christ is seated “at the right hand of the Majesty on high,” (Heb. 1:3b, ESV) because He accomplished what He came to do.

Read through Lord’s Day 19 below and spend some time dwelling on what Christ has accomplished for His glory and our good. Observe how the glory of Christ benefits us and why we “confidently await” His Second coming.

Lord’s Day 19

50. Q. WHY THE NEXT WORDS: “AND IS SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD”?
A. Christ ascended to heaven, there to show that He is head of His church, and that the Father rules all things through Him.

51. Q. HOW DOES THIS GLORY OF CHRIST OUR HEAD BENEFIT US?
A. First, through His Holy Spirit He pours out His gifts from heaven upon us His members. Second, by His power He defends us and keeps us safe from all enemies.

52. Q. HOW DOES CHRIST’S RETURN “TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD” COMFORT YOU?
A. In all my distress and persecution I turn my eyes to the heavens and confidently await as judge the very One who has already stood trial in my place before God and so has removed the whole curse from me. All His enemies and mine He will condemn to everlasting punishment: but me and all His chosen ones He will take along with Him into the joy and the glory of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment