Friday, June 10, 2011

Fridays with the Heidelberg

“The doctrine by which the church stands or falls”. That is what Martin Luther had to say about the importance of justification by faith alone. Because of it’s importance, it is somewhat tragic that many lack a full awareness of the meaning of justification. In fact, while in seminary, I heard a story of a group that attended a Christian publishing convention and polled the various publishers seeking out a definition of justification. Reportedly, only one responded with a cohesive answer, “It means- Just-if-I’d never sinned”. This is catchy but deficient.

Deficient in that it only deals with half of justification. Jerry Bridges suggests that along with, “Just-if-I’d never sinned”, we need to add “AND Just-as-if-I’d always obeyed.” The Great Exchange.

This is what is dealt with in Lord’s Day 23. After spending the past few months dealing with what is necessary for every Christian to believe, we now are reminded of what good comes from belief in Christ. We are now right with God, and are granted eternal life!

Q&A 60 then helpfully deals with “The Great Exchange”. Observe how we are at the same time, both justified and a sinner. Justified in the sight of God because we are credited a righteousness that is not our own. It is the very righteousness of Christ, which we receive by faith alone.

Lord’s Day 23

59. Q. WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO YOU, HOWEVER, TO BELIEVE ALL THIS?

A. In Christ I am right with God and heir to life everlasting.

60. Q. HOW ARE YOU RIGHT WITH GOD?
A. Only by true faith in Jesus Christ. Even though my conscience accuses me of having grievously sinned against all God’s commandments and of never having kept any of them, and even though I am still inclined toward all evil, nevertheless, without my deserving it at all, out of sheer grace, God grants and credits to me the perfect satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness of Christ, as if I had never sinned nor been a sinner, as if I had been as perfectly obedient as Christ was obedient for me. All I need to do is to accept this gift of God with a believing heart.

61. Q. WHY DO YOU SAY THAT BY FAITH ALONE YOU ARE RIGHT WITH GOD?
A. It is not because of any value my faith has that God is pleased with me. Only Christ’s satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness make me right with God. And I can receive this righteousness and make it mine in no other way than by faith alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment