Monday, August 1, 2011

Proverbs: Day 1

What a great way to start out the month of August, with the beginning of wisdom; The fear of the Lord.

In ch. 1 we find both an invitation to folly and an open invitation to Wisdom. Let's focus on vv. 24 - 31. This is a very somber section where we observe that while God is indeed long suffering, those who continue to reject God's wisdom will be rejected by God. Their hearts will be hardened towards the truth.

This is an important reality to point out to the younger generation. Many ignore the things of God in their youth assuming that they will take it more seriously later in life. This Proverb warns of the folly of such a mentality.

Prov. 1:24-31

Because I have called and you refused to listen,

have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,

25 because you have ignored all my counsel

and have none of my reproof,

26 I also will laugh at your calamity;

I will mock when terror strikes you,

27 when terror strikes you like a storm

and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,

when distress and anguish come upon you.

28 Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer;

they will seek me diligently but will not find me.

29 Because they hated knowledge

and did not choose the fear of the Lord,

30 would have none of my counsel

and despised all my reproof,

31 therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way,

and have their fill of their own devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment